Pages

Very important disclaimer

Please be advised that the contents of this blog are opinions only (my opinion, the opinions of my family and the opinions of anyone else directly or indirectly involed in this blog). This is not an accredited training blog, nor is it an accredited anything blog. If you (and you) do anything that this blog says, or don't do anything that this site says not to do, and you get injured, sick or killed, you cannot blame me or my family or blame anyone else directly or indirectly involved in this blog. By reading anything on this blog (including this message) you are saying that you are a person who makes thier own choices in life and does not hold the writer of this blog, the writers family or any one else that may be directly or indirectly involved in the production or writing of this blog, responsible for your stupid and irresponsible behaviors, injuries, sicknesses or deaths. With that said, please enjoy my fun blog.

Monday, February 1, 2010

Trials and Tribulations of Cross Training… ver 1.1.003

Guest blogger Drew has penned an update for us, this time he is focused on some of the mental aspect of training away from running, yet still tied to running… hmmm, makes you think doesn’t it…?

Spin Class #5- The word of day is “Anticipation”

I guess you are wondering why I have chosen this word….. well let me explain why. I started thinking about today’s spin class early this morning as I was packing my gym bag before leaving for work. As the morning progressed it lingered in the back of my mind, was I worried about today’s class because I missed last week’s due to another commitment… no not all, I have come to understand that no matter how many spin classes I attend, they will in fact never get easier, that’s right.... never!!!

I arrived at the gym just in time to change, fill my water bottle and grab a towel. As I walked into the room, there it was my old friend, I adjusted the seat and climbed on. Diane came in shortly after and got things going, she put some music on- we began with a warm up listening to one of my favorite rap songs called “Loose yourself”, it donned on me that this is the way I felt just before embarking on one of my pre-marathon training runs.

Webster’s defines Anticipation as:

“……………….. the act of looking forward; especially : pleasurable expectation
visualization of a future event or state…………………………..”

I am not sure that my expectation this morning before spin class was pleasurable , because this is definitely not a word I would ever use to describe spin class, but it is relevant in the fact that partaking in this class will help me towards my running goals……..

I am still trying to figure out what my goals for this year are, it will most likely be dictated on how my foot and shoulder feel, so far all signs are positive, but I won’t truly know until I embark on a regular outdoor running routine. At the very least I anticipate competing in some 10 km’s, I am considering the Calgary ½ as my first big run of the year. And another marathon still hovers in the back of my mind as does a sprint triathlon.

Final Thought- Spin class was grueling as usual, but  I can see the benefits, and not just the  physical ones, but mental ones as well, I have discovered that it helps me to focus on the moment and to keep pushing until that next small break, even if I feel like falling off my bike and puking!!!

Cheers,

Drew

No comments:

Post a Comment